Each year, the Authority holds various Academies: training events that primarily focus on a specific public sector discipline. Each program is a multi-day training that presents essential theories and techniques to help when working on complex problems facing public agencies.
The Risk Management Academy was held in late January and was followed by the Parks and Recreation Academy on February 5–7. The remaining Academy schedule for 2019 is as follows:
- Leadership Academy – March 12-14 in Santa Barbara (registration closed)
- Human Resources Academy – April 9-11 in Indian Wells (registration closed)
- Newly Elected Officials Academy – June 2-4 in Laguna Beach (invitation only)
- Public Works Academy – June 18-20 in Westlake Village (requests for registration open on March 18)
- Management Academy – September 23-26 in Indian Wells (requests for registration open on June 24)
Note that the registration process for these Academies is new for 2019. Those interested in attending must submit a “request to register” through myJPIA on the Authority’s website. For more information about the registration process, refer to the December 2018 Authority newsletter article “A Look Back: 2018 Academies.” For questions, contact Michelle Aguayo, Training Coordinator, via email or phone at (562) 467-8777.