In May, the California JPIA presented a webinar version of its Authority Live! series to discuss local government issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Authority Live! featured a panel of city managers from our membership.
These panelists included Dylan Feik, Monrovia; Chris Freeland, Indian Wells; Derek Johnson, San Luis Obispo; Mike Killebrew, Dana Point; Jim Lewis, Pismo Beach; and Thaddeus McCormack, Lakewood.
The issues discussed during the webinar fell broadly into two areas: 1) challenges facing their community or workforce, including revenues, employee wellness/displaced workers, homelessness, and the business community, and 2) strategies for reopening local government, including cleaning facilities/public areas, restarting the local economy, resuming programs, community services, and activities, and cost cutting strategies.
During the discussion, some of the panelists referenced external resources, including:
- City of San Luis Obispo-Roadmap to Reopening for City Operations
- COVID-19 – Resources re Municipal Finance
- Dana Point Chamber of Commerce: Pointing You in The Right Direction – Recommendations for Safely Reopening Businesses and Restoring Consumer Confidence
In addition, the California JPIA has resources available for the membership:
- California JPIA COVID-19 Resource Page
- Exposure Control Plan Template
- Public Warning Sign Template
- Waiver, Release, Hold Harmless, and Agreement not to Sue (for in-person classes or events)
- Virtual Class/Event Waiver, Release, Hold Harmless, and Agreement not to Sue
- EPL Hotline
- COVID-19 Training
To view the Authority Live! webinar, “The City Manager Perspective on COVID-19”, click here.