The California JPIA presents the Capstone Award each year to an individual who best exemplifies the practice of risk management by working to support risk management efforts, developing loss control programs, and coordinating systems that support their agency’s risk management efforts. An individual nominated for the Capstone Award can be a person who works at any level within a member agency and ideally, would be someone who:
- Works to support traditional or enterprise risk management efforts for the member agency.
- Develops, implements, and administers loss prevention and loss control programs to mitigate risk exposures for the member agency.
- Coordinates support systems that serve the member’s risk management goals and needs.
- Influences others in developing quality risk management programs for the member agency.
The nominees judged to be the most worthy of recognition will be selected as finalists and invited to attend the Authority’s Risk Management Educational Forum. A brief presentation will introduce each of the finalists during an award ceremony, with the announced winner receiving the Capstone Award.
The finalists for the 2019 Capstone Award were:
- Arabo Parseghian, City of La Cañada Flintridge,
- Shannon Buckley, City of Lake Elsinore,
- Stephen Y. Aryan, City of Palm Desert, and
- Todd Mitchell, City of Goleta.
The Capstone Award was presented to Stephen Y. Aryan during a ceremony at the 2019 Forum at the Hyatt Regency Indian Wells.
For questions about this award, contact Abraham Han, Administrative Analyst, by email or at (562) 467-8778.
The 25th Annual Risk Management Educational Forum will be held from October 14-16, 2020 at the Hilton in Santa Barbara, California.
Capstone Award Recipients
2019 – Stephen Y. Aryan, City of Palm Desert
2018 – Teri Davis, City of Moorpark
2017 – Isaac Etchamendy, City of San Marcos
2016 – Susan Crumly, City of Bellflower
2015 – Nikki Salas, Town of Apple Valley
2014 – Rayna Ospina, City of San Gabriel
2013 – Debra Garcia, City of Pismo Beach