Issue 133 – March 2023
California JPIA Offers Embark Motor Vehicle Record Monitoring to Members
In October 2022, the California JPIA launched Embark Safety as a new member resource for motor vehicle report monitoring. Features of the Embark monitoring platform include:
- 24/7/365 web-based access to DMV driver record information.
- The system is accessible via computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Real-time motor vehicle record (MVR) notifications.
- Notifications of accidents, violations, suspensions, and other record changes reported to the DMV are available daily.
- Drivers are color-coded to reduce the amount of time spent on evaluating driving records.
- Green – no violations; the individual can drive on agency business.
- Yellow – violations exist; review to determine if the individual violates the agency’s acceptable driving record.
- Red – serious violations exist; this individual’s driving privileges should be immediately revoked.
- Violation decoding.
- Violations referencing the CA Vehicle Code are automatically decoded and presented in plain English.
- Driver management.
- Monitored drivers can be easily added or removed as needed.
- Pre-employment MVR checks.
The Authority fully funds this program as a pooled cost, so members have no direct, out-of-pocket expenses. Members are strongly encouraged to consult with their labor attorney to determine if this program triggers an obligation to meet and confer with any affected bargaining units.
“Embark has been great in monitoring the employees’ driving records and sending alerts for upcoming expiration issues. It is also very user-friendly and efficient,” said Aileen Vasquez, senior administrative assistant in the Human Resources Department at the City of Palm Desert. “Overall, using this service has been a great experience, and I would recommend Embark to other agencies.”
To help Authority members learn more about Embark Safety and how they can effectively implement the program within their agencies, the California JPIA and Embark Safety will host two educational webinars to review Embark Connect, the motor vehicle records monitoring software. The webinars will be held Tuesday, April 18, 2023, at 9:00 a.m. and Wednesday, April 26, 2023, at 1:00 p.m. Those interested in the April 18 webinar can register here. Those interested in the April 26 webinar can register here.
If you have questions or want to learn more about the webinars and the program, please email Senior Risk Manager Lucy Gonzalez.< Back to Full Issue Print Article